Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

9 August 1988


Our first day in Copenhagen!  I don't know about my brother and sister but I certainly felt our Scandinavian roots during our time here.  My mother is 1/2 Swedish and 1/2 Lithuanian and we certainly learned plenty about our roots here and Scandinavian life.  As you can see, we had a bright sunny day.  The first thing we did was get our Copenhagen Cards.  These were available in many different cities as you can see and covered public transit and museum entry.  

The first thing that we did was to take a boat ride around.  From the boat we saw plenty of Copenhagen including the mermaid statue from Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales.  Which in finding the link I have just discovered will be turning 100 years old this month.  

Next was a visit to the Parliament and Christiansborg Palace.  The Palace was on the site of two previous castles, The Bishop's Castle and Copenhagen Castle.   I remember this being really interesting as we went to the foundations and you could clearly see the foundations of the two older buildings.  

We also visited Tivoli Gardens, the second oldest amusement park in the world.  See my sister and I eating our ice cream cones above.   It is turning 170 years old this month (quite the month for anniversaries in Copenhagen apparently!)

Lastly that day we went to The National Museum where we saw an exhibit on Christian IV.  I have a note in my scrapbook that we saw exhibits on him all over Scandinavia.  He was King of Denmark from 1588 to 1648.

The only other note that I have about that day is that we had bad pizza for lunch.  I think this is the first time we had seen sweet corn on pizza.  Having lived in England I have since become a fan of sweet corn (and tuna) on my pizza.

1 comment:

Mom said...

My parents visited Tivoli Gardens on their honeymoon in 1939. Then it was unusual and my Father remembered it with great pleasure. I think that for us it was a little small. We seemed to walk all round it in short order. The pizza was good! Just a little strange.